Saturday, September 25, 2010

Beijing is HUGE

Ni hao, everyone!

Just flew into Beijing today. Because M & I are on a budget, we took a shuttle bus, the subway, and walked to get to our hostel. A nice American we met on the plane also joined us on our non-taxi way of getting around. It was quite the adventure trying to figure out how to get to where we wanted. Luckily, Chinese people in Beijing are so incredibly kind and helpful! Two strangers stopped to help the (obviously) lost foreigners.

It's cold(er) here! The clothes in my backpack are mostly (really all) summer wear. I had goosebumps walking to dinner! Not sure what I'm going to do since I'm sure Korea will be the same. I might need to extend the budget to get some warmer things.

Dinner of dumplings was DELICIOUS! The menu was all in Chinese with some English words here and there. M & I ordered a plate of "donkey" dumplings and "gnuit" dumplings. Not sure what they were exactly, but they were yummy! I suppose I can claim that I've had "donkey". For dessert we got "candied apples" (apples encased in some kind of dough, deep fried, melted sugar drizzled on top and in which you dropped each ball into a bowl of cold water to crystallize the sugar) and burned out tongues. Worth it :D

We have several days in Beijing. Excited!

1 comment:

L said...

I wish I could have been there with you! I'm taking Chinese at school right now :D

I could have told them my name, that I'm korean or American. That's about it. HAHAHA

On second thought I would be TOTALLY USELESS HAHAHA <3